Wednesday 23 January 2013

Rubber band sculptures

Opened my front door at 88 the other day to find a lonely rubber band on the doorstep. "Ah..the postman has been then" I muttered.
Ever seen a lonely red rubber band lying there on the pavement? I have and over the last year or two my children and I have picked up every red abandoned rubber band that we came across. With our stretchy booty we have made a rubber band sculpture which not only looks cool, it bounces as well.
My husband is aghast that I pick up things from the pavement and even worse that I encourage our children to do likewise. Believe me sometimes it takes us quite a long time to get from A to B as we wade through and pick up those pinky, reddy bands used so glaringly by the post office and dropped so casually by some postmen and women.
Alas to our disappointment the supply seems to have dried up recently. The rubber band I discovered on my doorstep was not a familiar and comforting red but an ordinary pale manila brown. Still we now have the bug again and have a little collection going to make a companion ball to our red one. Will it bounce any higher I wonder?
Indeed, my children and I have become so used to tidying up public floors that we have extended the hunt to hair bobbles. You start looking and you will see the world is full of lost hair bobbles. The local public swimming pool being the number one location. I wash them, dry them and pop them in my daughter's hair. It saves a fortune on hair accessories.
Off to collect the children from school soon....better get them to wash their hands as soon as they get in!


1 comment:

  1. What a brilliant way to recycle and reuse objects that not noticed bt many of us, and turn it into something useful and beautiful. I hope that you can carry on posting more of your creation in here to share with us.

    Kai

    ReplyDelete