Tuesday 30 April 2013

Laundered loveliness

Does anything smell as wonderful as fresh sheets, dried by the breeze? Thank goodness we are now in the season we can put washing on the clothes line. My Mum (88) always used to wax lyrical about the sun shining and a gentle breeze and washing on the line.  I used to look at her and think "Oh dear" but I know what she means now. Just as I now realise how a cup of tea can be refreshing even on a hot day - turns out Mums do know best. There is something supremely satisfying about washing, drying, putting away all within the day. My Mum would also air as well. She would just put the line dried washing for a last airing round the fire or in the airing cupboard after taking it off the line. Then and only then was it ready to fold away. I, on the other hand, am a bit slovenly with my airing - I rarely do it. And don't even talk to me about ironing.

Towels drying today
Funny what you remember about a simple thing like washing on the line from home all those years ago. I can remember the pole for holding the washing line up at one end always lent at a precarious angle until Dad retired and had the time to straighten it. It never did seem quite right for it to be ramrod straight. The clothes prop to elevate the washing skywards was an old wooden one with a fork at the top rather like a snake's tongue.  I can remember my mum running out when it started raining and depending on how hard it was precipitating (being polite there!) dictated whether the pegs were put back neatly in the basket or thrown willy-nilly on the grass. Talking of which.....is that raindrops I see...........

No comments:

Post a Comment