Tuesday 21 May 2013

Green green grass

I have a confession: I love cutting the grass. Yes I admit I love getting the lawn mower out and going back and forth cutting that grass that just keeps on growing. I find it relaxing. I find it good exercise. I find I think a lot and sometimes not at all. It's a cliché but I love the smell of cut grass in the morning.....oh dear think I'm mixing up my sayings... Apocalypse Grass Cutting Now.


I started young, cutting the lawn at home. There was a lot of it but I loved the achievement and actually I guess it was one of the first grown-up jobs I was allowed to do on my own. I loved the stripes on the lawn from the roller on the mower and I loved how it would transform the garden on a sunny day. Long grass to short grass and all is well in the world.

As I write this I wonder if I have a thing for grass! One of my very favourite things in the summer is to walk along a path of cut grass which runs through long grass. Last year I tried to recreate the look at 88, leaving a swathe of long grass through which I cut a path. But we have children and football was played and the long stems were squashed.

I am very happy though now as the grass cutting season is upon us. I am even happier as we have inherited my mum's lawn mower which has a roller on and a grass collecting box. The grass may not be perfect - it has moss and weeds in - but it's all in beautiful stripes. Oh I'm happy. For me the grass is always green.

No comments:

Post a Comment