Wednesday 15 May 2013

Rapunzel Diaries 3: Blackpool Tower

Blackpool Tower, Blackpool


I have relatives who live about 5 miles down the promenade from Blackpool and yet I had never been up its famous tower until last year. You might think that's a bit of an oversight for a gal who loves towers but hey I can be patient....just as I'm waiting patiently for my husband to take me up that other famous tower across the Channel.


To tell the truth I do prefer a tower where I can walk up the stairs to the top. At Blackpool it's much more civilised and regimented - up the lift you go. But it's a grand experience. Fabulous views and we did get to go up some steps to the second level. It also has a rather exciting bonus feature in the shape of its glass floor which is rather wonderful if a little disorientating.










There are lots of lovely iron finials and curvy and quirky bits which you don't get on your average stone built folly tower. It's  also a very grand red rusty radiant colour.

There are some extra features: not every tower has an area where you can have a boogie but we got to sit in the famous Tower Ballroom and watch a tea dance which was quite mesmerising even if the seats are rather in need of a refit. And there are some fabulous tiles on the main stairs and foyer - reminders of grander times past.

It's a fine tower. Every city should have one. And I'm pleased that I made it up there at long last.

No comments:

Post a Comment