Thursday 19 September 2013

The Build: Week 15

Hooray a veritable collection of builders/tradespeople arrived on Monday morning after our week of inactivity. What do you call a collection of house builders? A sweep of builders? Ours do do quite a bit of sweeping surprisingly enough if not quite as much as they did at the start of the build! A dustball of builders? There's plenty of that settled about the house. A flurry of tradespeople? They blow in, they blow out very quickly sometimes with jobs left half finished until their next visit. A banter of tradespeople? Believe me I've had to keep on top of my repartee techniques and keep my sense of humour cogs well oiled.

This week I've learnt that skirting board isn't just any old architrave and that you can have taurus and ogee on the same board. Oh yes and it's unfortunate when you get your bulls mixed up with your ogees and have to start again.  I've learnt what is expected of decorators - you have to patch up as well as paint which I'm not pleased about seeing I'm the decorator. I find also that I now know automatically if any one builder prefers tea or coffee and how many sugars he has (sadly no lady builders have appeared) - perhaps they have all been here just a bit too long.

And I've also realised that although our 'banter of builders' have been frustrating at times by not turning up when they said they would and not doing exactly what they said they would do when they said they would do it, they have nevertheless done a good job and been generally lovely over the last fifteen weeks. Our architect also has been just fabulous; a great design realised and a reassuring presence throughout the planning, build and I am sure the inevitable snagging to come. We are not there yet but very close.

No comments:

Post a Comment