Tuesday 5 February 2013

Handmade Histories 2: Crow cushion

Crow Cushion (Fruitique:Sonya)


This is my cushion. Foremost I like it because my good friend made it for me. Secondly I like it because it's beautiful but slightly menacing. No chintz here thank you very much.

One of the most memorable films I've ever seen is Hitchcock's The Birds. Very thrilling and very very menacing and this cushion reminds me of it. I'm also fascinated by the film because of Tippi Hedren's wardrobe. The films spans a weekend (Fri to Sat) and she wears the same tight fifties pencil skirt and high heels as well as beautifully coiffured hair all the time without looking dishevelled at all......that is until the last few scenes!!!! But the cushion also simply puts me in mind of a common garden bird. Depends what mood I'm in.

A garden bird or menacing crow?
It sits on the chest-chair-cum-table at 88 that came from my parent's house a few months ago. It sits next to its companion, a stag cushion, also made by Sonya. I love stags.

I'm into recycling so the cushion also appeals to me because it's mostly made of upcycled materials. In particular the dark grey in the background is made from a length of suit material my mum got from her cousin's woollen mill in the eighties. I can remember going and mum's cousin giving her it. I love it because it has  'Superfine All Wool Made in England' running down the side of the cloth which Sonya has incorporated running down the side of the cushion. The yellow ric rac (technical term - who'd have thunk that that was what it was called), squaring off the cushion, was passed on to Sonya years ago by a friend's mum. On the back of the cushion there is some corduroy which I do believe had a former life as a pair of Sonya's Levi's....better still originally bought from a charity shop. The button may be from a stock she inherited from her Gran but hey it's hard to keep track of buttons.


Amazing what you can do with a pair of old jeans


My stag and my crow make me happy and comfortable. Perhaps I need a pink moose to complete the set.

Handmade Histories 1: Red Keyring

www.facebook/thefruitiques.com









1 comment:

  1. Love the article - a cushion with a past. I made it so am slightly biased but I am proud of this creation and its heritage.

    ReplyDelete