Friday 29 March 2013

OK - good, bad or indifferent?

The trouble with texts is that you can't hear them. You can't hear intonation, you can't hear the cadence in which your text is spoken. You can't glean from the sound of the text, the spirit in which the reply is returned.

Ponderings at 88 over a simple OK

I have sent two texts in the last few days to which the reply was 'OK'. Now is that an OK that's great, that's cool, that's absolutely at one with the world or is it an OK that is grumpy? Is it one which says that's OK but I'm not very happy with the situation; don't bother me again?

Most times I just move on but sometimes I spend ages pondering what type of 'OK' it is. I know the nature of texts is to be brief and to the point but sometimes I would like context, a happy cadence written into the reply. OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment