Tuesday 13 August 2013

Escaltorgate

My eight year old got his shoe laces stuck at the bottom of the escalator (moving pavement not stairs) in our local supermarket last week. I should add before I go on that at no point was he in danger. I duly pressed the emergency stop. A very kind lady then went back into the supermarket to get help.

Two supermarket ladies came running at full speed. I think they must have heard 'child', 'escalator', 'stuck' and let their imaginations run wild as they did come running very quickly indeed. They were just lovely. After my son extracted his foot from the shoe, the escalator was reversed and the laces released. My son was quite shaken I think although he didn't let on. My son was a little embarrassed too although he didn't let on. Anyway he has spent the time since dining out on his escalator experience, bigging it all up for his audiences.

Lessons learnt
Lesson 1: the ladies at the supermarket are lovely and are very good at dealing with laces in escalator situations - I think I will write a letter to thank them.
Lesson 2: I used to spend quite a lot of time telling my son to retie his shoe laces before escaltorgate but strangely since then I have not had to.
Lesson 3: My son informs me that we cannot go back to the supermarket ever again unless we are in disguise.

No comments:

Post a Comment