Tuesday 21 January 2014

Libraries no more

Remember back in March last year I lamented the demise of our local library? Well it's official now. Our library will disappear along with most of the other libraries in the borough. Of course, our local MP and local Councillors will say the libraries aren't going but just moving into a room in other pre-existing Council premises. But it's hard not to see 'moving to a room' as the beginning of the end.

It's hard to see how staff can maintain the level of service in a significantly smaller space with less money and presumably fewer of them. It's almost a self-perpetuating decline now. It's hard to see why numbers using the library will not just fall off because the service just won't be the excellent one it is now and then before we know it the Council won't be prepared to justify the time, effort and money to keep libraries going. Alas I don't think libraries have yet reached their nadir.

Call me cynical but it's funny isn't it that the report that sets out the future of libraries in my local borough was released just before Christmas. Funny isn't it that the local press and public haven't reacted much because they had other things to think about in the Christmas rush.

If you remember my local MP didn't seem that bothered about the threat to my library. I won't be writing another letter to my MP or Councillors because I don't trust them any more. Was it only about two years ago we were asked to vote on a number of options for the library service. We voted. And now the goalposts have changed once again. Libraries are the soft and easy target to save money. I just wish politicians would treat me as fairly intelligent and admit that the service will be poorer.

Over the last year or two my friends and I have continually lamented the end of libraries. We have even felt a rumble in the ground. Could it be that those 19th century philanthropists who gave money for the creation of places where people could learn are turning in their graves? Could it be that earlier generations of local councillors are heaving a sigh of relief that the destruction of libraries wasn't undertaken on their watch? Or is that all imagined?

Anyway let's jump forward 30 years - someone conjures up a new concept. A  revolutionary idea. A place where you can go to ask people about how to research local history and get information, borrow books, obtain support with your education, encourage children to read - all under one roof and not necessarily all on computer. What shall we call it?

No comments:

Post a Comment