Monday 13 January 2014

One letter to go

What do you think about 'thank you' letters? I was brought up big on thank yous whether in person or on the page. And so now I insist on my children writing them. My children could spell 'thank you' from a very early age! Of course if they see someone and can say thank you face-to-face that's great but otherwise it's letters.

I have a theory that in this day of social media, texts, mobiles and emails that we have less meaningful communication. So many ways to keep in touch and yet sometimes we just forget to talk or say thank you. My Mum in her elderly people's home loves letters and yet she receives so few. We are all so busy it's sometimes nice to slow down and take stock.

I have a vague notion that by making the children write letters they will appreciate their gifts and the thoughts behind them all the more. Goodness knows that they receive enough and so I believe it's a way of slowing down and giving a little back instead of getting, getting, getting. I also think it makes them remember who bought them things. I'm sentimental that way.

There is also a practical aspect when presents are sent through the post that you acknowledge they have arrived!

Of course, there is a danger that they will forever resent writing the damn letters but we do it very slowly after birthdays and Christmas, doing one a day or not so I think it worth the risk. They do moan and rant a little but I'm old fashioned so won't be moved on the subject.

One letter to go!







No comments:

Post a Comment