Wednesday 13 March 2013

Angels at our table

We have quite a few angels at 88. I am not referring to our two children....rarely does angelic seem to fully sum them up.....perhaps when they are asleep. And don't worry I don't see auras around people. No I refer to the little angel above my son's bed and the little angel above my daughter's. They are there to watch over them. How they are supposed to do that I don't quite know but they comfort me. Little glass representations of what we think little angels look like. Two good luck charms for my children. I guess they are the physical equivalent of 'touching wood' for me and believe me I touch wood a lot....usually my head.

I like angels. I like the look of them. Perhaps it stems from appearing in my primary school's nativity play. It was every girl's ambition in my school to be an angel. You had to stand on chairs at the back and wear beautiful white silky dresses and tinsel in your hair. As I recall I was a little disappointed with the dresses close-up. From afar they looked absolutely gorgeous but up close were just cheap silky sacks tied in at the waist with tinsel. Anyway you got to open your arms and lord it over Mary and Joseph...plus you got to see your mum in the audience really clearly.
 
The little miniature angels hanging in the house thing all started one Christmas when I bought my mum a little red angel as a decoration. She put it up in the kitchen and never took it down. I came to think of it watching over her and her home. Every time I visited I would just clock this pinky talisman in the corner of my eye. It became my own version of the ravens and Tower of London legend. You remember something about when the ravens leave, the kingdom will fall. Well, the angel is now in my own house....touch wood.
 

1 comment:

  1. The angel you gave us still lives in the front room and has been watching over us for a few years now ;-)

    ReplyDelete