Sunday 10 March 2013

Handmade Histories 4 : crocheted bag

Crocheted Bag (Fruitique: Joy)


Crocheted bag at 88 before its long trip to China
This isn't so much a history of what happened to a Fruitique craft after it was bought but more why it was bought in the first place. My husband had been in China with work for four weeks and had been made to feel very welcome by the engineer out there and Mrs W, the company's sales rep. She and her daughter had taken him sightseeing and shopping (I have to say I benefited royally from these retail trips).

My husband was going back to Beijing to finish his work there and I wanted to send something back with him for Mrs W as a thank you. Kind of one woman to another woman kind of thing.

I didn't have a long time to find the perfect gift. I went to a very famous British store to have a look round. I thought perhaps there may be something that sang out 'This is a perfect British gift from a quintessential British store for someone abroad whom you have never met'. Of course I didn't find anything. It wasn't until I started looking in more detail at the wares in the store that I realised they all had the same thing written underneath or sewn in the label: 'Made in China'. A laugh out moment for me. I believe the Chinese equivalent of sending coals to Newcastle.

I then had my Eureka moment. You probably could have told me this two paragraphs ago - send a Fruitique craft - hand made in Britain, a quality object and beautiful. Also travels well in a suitcase. A crocheted bag was ordered. Job done.

https://www.facebook.com/thefruitiques

1 comment: