Friday 15 March 2013

Q is for butcher

Made my 6 weekly pilgrimage to 20 Gill Lane, Yeadon last Monday. Snow was threatened and a very chill wind was blowing but I still made my way over the M62, over the hills to Yorkshire in spite of the ominous forecast. This was a selfless journey as I took the hopes but no fears of my in-laws and my brother with me. I had prepared my way, making a phone call the previous week to let them know I was coming. Afterall it gave them chance to dust down the red carpet and put the bubbly on ice....sorry I'm getting carried away. I was making my bi-monthly trip to the best butchers in the land, J B Meays and Sons (Stuart). Best enough for me to make a 100 mile round trip with orders from me and my relatives.

Members of the Q Guild of Butchers - top of the trade
Brian (the B in JB) and my parents go back quite a few decades when he used to help out at Ghyll Fold ( my parent's farm) during silage time and hay making and then when Brian went into the butchery trade, my mum visited his shop ever after. Sadly my mum (88) is no longer living at the farm so I can't just pop into Brian's when visiting her.

I like it at Brian and Stuart's because there is a history between us; because I can ask them for any cut of meat and I know they will provide and give me advice; because their product is par excellence. And also just like with my milkman I can have a nice chat and put the world to rights. Of course Brian, a proud Yorkshireman, is very rude to me about living over the border in Lancashire, with much banter back and forth about passport control at Junction 21 on the M62 (the rough border between the two counties) and how life must be grim over Pennines but I can hold my own.

So with boot weighted down with beef, pork, lamb and very excellent burgers (guaranteed no horses neighing in the background here) I said my goodbyes til the next time.

PS I tell Brian it's only him I come to see but then I pop off to see my best friend up the road for coffee and cake - don't tell him.

No comments:

Post a Comment